What is the best material to use for roofs in Florida? Here are some of the best options for Florida roofing:
- Clay Barrel Tiles: Clay tiles are popular in humid and hot southern climates due to their durability and ability to withstand prolonged UV exposure. The curved tiles allow air to circulate between the surface and roof deck, which keeps the interior and roof of the house cooler. Roofs are often reinforced due to their weight. Roof maintenance and repairs are also more difficult because tiles can be challenging to walk on, and they can break under increased weight. It is an expensive option, especially when factoring in lifetime maintenance.
- Concrete Tiles: Concrete tiles are thicker than other materials and, therefore, heat up less quickly, keeping the roof and house cooler. They are also very heavy due to their thickness, requiring roof reinforcement.
- Asphalt Shingles: Asphalt shingles may not be the most durable, but they are lightweight and easy to repair if they become damaged or ripped during a storm. These shingles are an affordable choice for homeowners on a tight budget.
- Metal Shingles: Metal shingles can be lightweight, resistant to damage from hail, and can withstand winds of up to 160mph. Metal shingles can mimic other types of roofing tiles, but they can be more expensive than other options.
- Composite Tiles: Brava composite tiles are the perfect roofing materials for Florida. These tiles are easy to install and lightweight. They also come with a 50-year warranty that is transferable. They are UV-resistant, weather-resistant, and do not conduct heat, making them an ideal choice for Florida’s challenging climate.
The tiles are maintenance-free and require only periodic cleaning. This means you can spend more time relaxing in your home and less time worrying about maintenance and cleaning. The Brava tiles have been tested to withstand winds up to 188MPH using ring shanks and up to 211MPH when installed with screws in high winds. They also have a Class 4-impact rating, meaning they can withstand hail.
This post was written by Ted Williams! Ted is the owner of A Old Time Roofing which is the premier Clearwater Roofer Contractor! Ted is a Master Elite Weather Stopper GAF Roofing Contractor, a double award winner of Best Steep-Slope Contractor from GAF and achiever of Master Elite Consumer Protection Excellence from GAF. He has been serving the Pinellas County area since 1978. Old Time Roofing has a tradition of quality workmanship, servicing residential and commercial properties